Skip to content

ERA Architects

Projects/

Building Conservation

Spotlight

Greenhouse at the Parkwood Estate National Historic Site. Parkwood Estate National Historic Site: Greenhouse Conservation

Oshawa’s Parkwood Estate was erected in 1915 as the home of automotive industrialist Colonel Sam McLaughlin, who had a keen interest in horticulture. Designed by the leading establishment architecture firm Darling & Pearson, the estate included five greenhouses, with additional greenhouses added over time. The estate is now a National Historic Site. After the property...

exterior view of new addition to NAC National Arts Centre

Situated in the heart of the nation’s capital on Confederation Square, Ottawa’s National Arts Centre (NAC) displays a robust Brutalist geometric form, evoking the image of a fortress for the arts. Built between 1964 and 1969 as one of the federal government’s centennial projects, the NAC was designed by Fred Lebensold of the Montreal-based architecture...

Outer Island Cottage

This cottage is part of a family compound on an outer island at Pointe au Baril, Georgian Bay. After several renovations the building had lost some of its original character. ERA led the restoration of the original cabin’s cherished rustic qualities while providing modern amenities and an improved layout. The building itself needed substantial upgrades...

Ardshona

This project is set on a two-acre island in the archipelago at Pointe au Baril, Ontario, and saw the restoration of a historic cottage and bunkie. Careful adjustments to landscaping opened expansive views of the water and natural surroundings. The living room of the main cottage was enlarged to introduce more lake light into the...

Windsor Armouries

As part of a long-term planning strategy to rejuvenate downtown Windsor, several heritage buildings have been adapted to house the facilities for a new downtown campus of the University of Windsor including the copper and stone-clad Windsor Star building and the art-moderne Greyhound Bus Depot. The Windsor Armouries was chosen as the site for the...

Windsor Star Building

As part of a long-term planning strategy to rejuvenate the city’s downtown, several heritage buildings are being adapted to house the facilities for a new downtown campus of the University of Windsor. The Windsor Star building is a finely crafted example of Beaux-Arts design with details in copper and carved stone. ERA is working with...

Windsor Bus Depot

As part of a long-term planning strategy to rejuvenate the city’s downtown, several heritage buildings are being adapted to house the facilities for a new downtown campus of the University of Windsor. This fine Art Moderne design, built in limestone and granite in 1940, is notable for its rounded corners, semi-circular ribbon windows, and circle...

Kensington Market Lofts

ERA worked from 2011–2017 with Kensington Market Lofts (KML) on a long-term upgrade of the building’s terracotta brick exterior. The project involved masonry restoration, terracotta rehabilitation, and various strategies to rejuvenate the façade along Baldwin St and create an overcladding strategy on the east façade in the form of a large-scale art piece, now a...

Massey Tower / 197 Yonge St.

Designed for the Canadian Bank of Commerce in 1905 by architects Darling & Pearson, 197 Yonge Street housed the bank’s Queen and Yonge branch. A fine example of the firm’s remarkable output of Classical Edwardian bank branch designs, it is today designated under Ontario Heritage Act.   The landmark building is the historic focus of...

7 St. Thomas St.

7 St Thomas integrates a sleek, undulating fritted-glass mid-rise office building designed by Hariri-Pontarini Architects with a block of heritage townhomes. The site inhabits a transitional zone between the retail and corporate fabric of Bloor-Yorkville and the quiet, leafy collegiate campus to the south. ERA was responsible for full Heritage Consultation services, from heritage planning...

11 Division

Carleton Village School was declared surplus by the Toronto District School Board and, with no protection through heritage listing or designation, slated for demolition in 1998. This local landmark, however, represented great symbolic value for community members of Carleton Village, the Junction neighbourhood it had served since 1913. In collaboration with Toronto Police Services (TPS)...

Kilns at Evergreen Brick Works

“Building 16” at the Brick Works housed several massive kilns built in the 1960s for firing and drying bricks. The kilns were fascinating artifacts, but their sheer size – 600 linear metres occupying three-quarters of the building – made the space impossible to use. By dissecting the kilns to reveal their hidden spaces and internal...

1 Spadina Crescent

Originally home to Knox College, and eventually occupied by one of the world’s first insulin manufacturers and a military hospital, the Gothic Revival building at 1 Spadina Crescent has a rich history and is a major city landmark, terminating views north from Spadina Avenue. ERA worked with NADAAA between 2011 and 2017 to oversee the...

Mirvish and Gehry on King St. West

For this project, sited on King near John St. in Toronto’s entertainment district, David Mirvish and Frank Gehry propose a three-building residential and mixed-use complex including OCAD University’s “Princess of Wales Centre for Visual Arts,” as well as a new public art gallery. The new gallery will make available for the first time David Mirvish’s...

Recent Projects

University Commons, University of Alberta University of Alberta
Edmonton
Sturgeon Bay Cottage Private client
Point au Baril, Ontario