Skip to content

ERA Architects

Projects/

Building Conservation

Spotlight

Greenhouse at the Parkwood Estate National Historic Site. Parkwood Estate National Historic Site: Greenhouse Conservation

Oshawa’s Parkwood Estate was erected in 1915 as the home of automotive industrialist Colonel Sam McLaughlin, who had a keen interest in horticulture. Designed by the leading establishment architecture firm Darling & Pearson, the estate included five greenhouses, with additional greenhouses added over time. The estate is now a National Historic Site. After the property...

exterior view of new addition to NAC National Arts Centre

Situated in the heart of the nation’s capital on Confederation Square, Ottawa’s National Arts Centre (NAC) displays a robust Brutalist geometric form, evoking the image of a fortress for the arts. Built between 1964 and 1969 as one of the federal government’s centennial projects, the NAC was designed by Fred Lebensold of the Montreal-based architecture...

51 Division – Police Headquarters

Consumers Gas Station A, designed by Bond & Smith and completed in 1898, has been integrated into a new design by Stantec Architecture for Toronto Police Services 51 Division headquarters. The heritage building is a tall, arcaded shed, gable ended, with a long extruded roof form, refined Classical composition, decorative masonry, and numerous windows. The...

Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives

The Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives acquired the Jared Sessions House from the Toronto Children’s Aid Society, to be renovated for use as their permanent headquarters. The house was built in 1859-60, and is listed on the City of Toronto’s inventory of heritage properties. ERA developed a conservation strategy for the building, allowing it to...

Ojibway Island

The Ojibway Club is a rare surviving example of the wooden resort hotel once common in the Muskoka region and along Georgian Bay. In the mid-20th century, this complex of nineteen rustic Shingle Style buildings had been converted to a community centre for the archipelago’s cottagers. The site included a main three-storey hotel structure with...

Dundas Street Centre United Church

The Dundas Street Centre United Church is a large, handsome brick and stone Romanesque Revival Style church, with three towers and matching Sunday School was erected in 1895. In the 1930s the domed sanctuary was remodeled. However, much of the original fine decorative plasterwork and stained glass remains. The church is designated under Part IV...

66 Metcalfe Street

ERA was retained to rehabilitate the front façade and entry of this Cabbagetown home removing its insul-brick cladding. A designated heritage property, this traditional Ontario Cottage style is commonly found throughout the Province. This renovation responds to the Cabbagetown-Metcalfe Heritage Conservation District design guidelines.

Heaslip House, the G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education

The building at 297 Victoria Street was constructed as O’Keefe House, the administrative headquarters for O’Keefe Breweries, in 1939. O’Keefe House was designed by the architectural firm of Chapman and Oxley, a firm that produced some very fine Beaux-Arts and Moderne buildings in Toronto in the 20’s and 30’s. The construction of O’Keefe House represents...

R.C. Harris Filtration Plant

The R.C. Harris Filtration Plant is a fine example of Depression era public works project at a grand scale. In 1998, these Art Deco buildings, set amidst terraced lawns overlooking Lake Ontario, were designated as a National Historic Civil Engineering Site. E.R.A. was commissioned to develop Heritage Guildelines for future interventions and Heritage Assessment documents...

Joy Oil Gas Station

The Joy Oil Station is the last of at least 16 stations built of the same design in Toronto in the 1930’s by the Joy Oil Company Ltd. The building is designated by the City of Toronto under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. It was built in a miniature chateau style, with distinctive...

Massey – Harris Condominium

This building, the former headquarters of Massey-Harris Tractors, the once massive farm implement manufacturing empire, is the last remaining structure of the vast factory complex that existed in west end Toronto. E.J. Lennox designed the original building in 1883 and there were additions by George Miller in 1898 and 1912. The property is designated under...

Todmorden Mills Museum

Todmorden Mills is a small mid-nineteenth century industrial complex located in the Don Valley. A designated heritage site, the mill and residential buildings operate as a heritage and cultural centre. ERA provided long-term planning, museological and architectural conservation consulting to the site. One of the houses on the site is a rare adobe building for...

Renwood House

Renwood House is a large Italianate villa with robust classical detail. In 2001 the attic and roof were destroyed by fire and the villa suffered extensive water damage. The property is designated by the Town of Cobourg under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. ERA was engaged to research and oversee the complete restoration...

The Massey Houses

In the late 19th century, the Massey family houses at 515 and 519 Jarvis Street played a significant role in establishing and promoting Jarvis Street as an attractive neighbourhood for the city’s elite. 515 Jarvis was designed by Wm. Young and built in 1868. An addition by G.M. Miller was done in 1882. 519 Jarvis...

Recent Projects

University Commons, University of Alberta University of Alberta
Edmonton
Sturgeon Bay Cottage Private client
Point au Baril, Ontario