Skip to content

ERA Architects

Projects/

Building Conservation

Spotlight

Greenhouse at the Parkwood Estate National Historic Site. Parkwood Estate National Historic Site: Greenhouse Conservation

Oshawa’s Parkwood Estate was erected in 1915 as the home of automotive industrialist Colonel Sam McLaughlin, who had a keen interest in horticulture. Designed by the leading establishment architecture firm Darling & Pearson, the estate included five greenhouses, with additional greenhouses added over time. The estate is now a National Historic Site. After the property...

exterior view of new addition to NAC National Arts Centre

Situated in the heart of the nation’s capital on Confederation Square, Ottawa’s National Arts Centre (NAC) displays a robust Brutalist geometric form, evoking the image of a fortress for the arts. Built between 1964 and 1969 as one of the federal government’s centennial projects, the NAC was designed by Fred Lebensold of the Montreal-based architecture...

Richmond Adelaide Centre

The Richmond Adelaide Centre consists of a large block of commercial buildings in downtown Toronto. Significant heritage buildings, from the 1920s through to the 1960s exist on the site including the Concourse Building (100 Adelaide St. W.) of 1929, an important heritage property designated by the City of Toronto under Part IV of the Ontario...

Miller House

The Miller House is a 1-1/2 storey home located on the property of the Pillar and Post in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario which dates back to 1817. Despite its 190 years of survival, the Miller House is remarkably intact for a building of its age. On the interior very few modifications have taken place. Original finishes survive...

Convocation Hall

Designed by the Toronto firm of Darling & Pearson, the University of Toronto’s Convocation Hall opened in 1907 and has since become a city landmark and one of the architects’ most beloved achievements. The property is listed on the City of Toronto’s inventory of heritage properties. In addition to hosting graduation ceremonies, the large circular...

Parkwood Estate National Historic Site

Parkwood National Historic Site was built in 1916 as the home of the late R. S. McLaughlin, founder of General Motors Canada. The building, designed by architects Darling and Pearson, now serves as a historic house museum, with a collection that includes original furniture, paintings, and tapestries. ERA was retained to provide professional conservation services,...

The Carlu

The former Eaton’s College Street contains one of the finest Art Moderne interiors in Canada, the Carlu. It was commissioned by Sir John Craig Eaton to be the flagship for Eaton’s department store. Opened in 1931, the Carlu was an impressive and grand complex that was home to refined social and cultural events, hosting several...

Tip Top Tailor Condominiums

The Tip Top Tailor building was constructed in 1929 to the designs of architect Roy M. Bishop. The former garment factory is a fine industrial example of the Art Deco Style in painted white concrete with cast architectural ornament and brightly coloured glazed tile bands. A designated heritage property, ERA was contracted to assess the...

Bloor Gladstone Library

The Chapman & McGiffin designed public library, formerly known as the Dovercourt Branch, was opened in 1913 and renamed the Bloor and Gladstone Public Library in 1938. It was intended to serve a community at Bloor Street and Dovercourt Road and was the first Toronto Public Library branch to be entirely financed by the City...

Casey House

Commissioned in 1875 by clothing manufacturer William R. Johnston, and designed by prominent local architectural firm Langley, Langley & Burke, the former residence at 571 Jarvis is a significant visual reminder of the affluence and grandeur of Jarvis Street during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Both the exterior and interior of the historic...

Eglinton St. George’s United Church

St. George’s United Church was designed by architects Langley and Howland and built in 1924. An addition was built in 1932 designed by J. Francis Brown and Son. The Church has a fine collection of more than 25 stained glass windows completed at different periods. When the church was built, the stained glass windows were...

Crangle’s Collision

Crangle’s Collision (the former International Harvesters’ Building) has been an Art Moderne accent at the corner of Bathurst and Wellington since its construction in 1940. This two-storey commercial building, designed by architect Neil A. Armstrong, served as headquarters for the American producer of agricultural equipment, and more recently as an auto body shop. A listed...

Little Trinity Church

Dating from 1843, Little Trinity is one of the oldest surviving brick churches in Toronto. This polychrome Gothic Revival church was badly damaged by fire in 1961. At that time, the brickwork was cleaned by sandblasting removing its protective kiln face and leaving the bricks vulnerable to frost and water damage. A listed heritage property,...

Union Station

Union Station is recognized under the Railway Stations Protection Act as a nationally significant heritage building and is selected by the City of Toronto as a designated heritage property. ERA prepared a Heritage Master Plan for Union Station, which identified conservation issues, provided cost estimates for heritage work, and recommended a strategic plan for implementation....

Recent Projects

University Commons, University of Alberta University of Alberta
Edmonton
Sturgeon Bay Cottage Private client
Point au Baril, Ontario