Skip to content

ERA Architects

Projects/

Building Conservation

Spotlight

Greenhouse at the Parkwood Estate National Historic Site. Parkwood Estate National Historic Site: Greenhouse Conservation

Oshawa’s Parkwood Estate was erected in 1915 as the home of automotive industrialist Colonel Sam McLaughlin, who had a keen interest in horticulture. Designed by the leading establishment architecture firm Darling & Pearson, the estate included five greenhouses, with additional greenhouses added over time. The estate is now a National Historic Site. After the property...

exterior view of new addition to NAC National Arts Centre

Situated in the heart of the nation’s capital on Confederation Square, Ottawa’s National Arts Centre (NAC) displays a robust Brutalist geometric form, evoking the image of a fortress for the arts. Built between 1964 and 1969 as one of the federal government’s centennial projects, the NAC was designed by Fred Lebensold of the Montreal-based architecture...

Spirit of Sir John A.

Confederation Park was opened in 1967 to mark the centenary of Canada’s confederation, on the site of the disused CPR rail yard and the earlier Market Battery fortification. Locomotive CPR 1095 (named, “The Spirit of Sir John A.” on occasion of the centenary) was built by the Canadian Locomotive Company Ltd., in Kingston, in 1913,...

5 St. Joseph

As part of the adaptive reuse of the historic block at Yonge and St. Joseph Streets, the FIVE Condos project at 5 St. Joseph celebrates the area’s commercial heritage, while creating a mix of new uses to enhance and rejuvenate this diverse, urban neighbourhood. The project includes half a block of designated heritage buildings between...

Bishop’s Block

The Bishop’s Block, a designated heritage property, was built circa 1829. It is considered one of the oldest buildings left in Toronto’s downtown core. Originally consisting of five upscale Georgian row houses, the Block housed the Adelaide Hotel in the early 20th century and more recently the popular Pretzel Bell Tavern. By 2005 the building...

The Roxy Theatre

The Allenby Theatre (also re-named the 99cent Roxy) opened in 1935 and was designed by the well-known Toronto architectural firm Kaplan and Sprachman. Kaplan and Sprachman were responsible for the design of roughly seventy-five percent of all movie theatres in Canada between the years of 1921 and 1950. At the time of the Great Depression,...

Massey Mausoleum, in Mount Pleasant Cemetary

The Massey Mausoleum was built in 1891 in Mount Pleasant Cemetary, as the resting place of the prominent Massey family of Toronto. The design was developed by the renowned E.J. Lennox, with input from the patron, Hart Massey. The monument consists of a tower-like structure with a basilica plan and a below-grade crypt, all designed...

Canada Malting Silo

The Canada Maltings Co. is a former industrial complex located at the foot of Bathurst Quay in Toronto. The site consists of two large silo structures, distribution rooms, a head house, link structures and other accessory buildings. The complex was continually developed throughout the 20th century with the earliest structures on the site dating back...

Avenues & Mid-Rise Buildings Study

ERA was part of a consultant team that prepared the Avenues and Mid-rise Buildings Study for the City of Toronto. The study provided recommendations for urban design, policy, and processes to guide and encourage future mid-rise development along the City’s avenues, an area that covers 162 km in length. Working with team lead Brook McIlroy...

Allstream Centre / Automotive Building

The Automotive Building was constructed in 1929 as a venue for the exhibition of new automobiles. This use continued until the 1960s, however, over the years various unsympathetic renovations occurred and after 80 years the building had became outdated and was no longer in demand as an exhibition space. The new project involved rehabilitating the...

View of the Commons area with new landscaping Evergreen Brick Works

Founded in 1889, the Don Valley Brick Works became one of the largest and most significant brick manufacturers in Canada, relying on locally extracted clay, shale, and sand. Many of Toronto’s landmark masonry buildings, such as Massey Hall, Old City Hall, Casa Loma, and the Royal Ontario Museum, were constructed with Don Valley’s award-winning bricks....

Art Gallery of Ontario

The Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is an important cultural institution both locally for the City of Toronto and internationally as one of Canada’s most important cultural showplaces. The AGO is one of Toronto’s foremost institutions and has a rich historical and architectural background. Since its inception nearly 100 years ago, the Gallery has undergone...

Dundurn National Historic Site

Dundurn National Historic Site is a prominent historic house in Hamilton, dating from 1835. This Regency style mansion was built as the home of Sir Allan Napier McNab. ERA’s work at Dundurn includes underpinning of foundations walls, repointing and waterproofing and below-grade drainage to prevent periodic floods in the basement. Extensive archaeological work was done...

Sudbury Court House

ERA provided research and consultation on the heritage resources that could be affected by the proposed alterations and additions, designed by Castellan James Architects, to the Sudbury Courthouse. The building needed modifications to address long-standing issues related to program and space requirements on the site, provision of a sallyport entrance, and renovation and expansion of...

Recent Projects

Halton Hills Cultural Heritage Strategy Town of Halton Hills
Halton Hills, Ontario
Our Yukon Heritage Reserves: Management Priorities Report Historic Sites Unit, Government of Yukon
Yukon Territory
The Brighthouse Farm The Brighthouse Farm
Wellington, Ontario
GoodLot Farmstead Brewing Co. Phil Winters, GoodLot Farm and Brewery
Caledon, Ontario