Richmond Adelaide Centre
The Richmond Adelaide Centre consists of a large block of commercial buildings in downtown Toronto. Significant heritage buildings, from the 1920s through to the 1960s exist on the site including the Concourse Building (100 Adelaide St. W.) of 1929, an important heritage property designated by the City of Toronto under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. 100 Adelaide St. W. was designed by Baldwin and Green and is notable for its fine Art Deco decoration. It is associated with Group of Seven artist J.E.H. MacDonald, who did the murals, ceiling painting and mosaic tile work in the building. The other two notable buildings on the block are also designated heritage properties, these include the Federal Building at 85 Richmond St. W. designed by Howard Crane for Yolles and Rotenburg and 111 Richmond St. W. designed by Peter Dickinson. 111 Richmond St. W., one of the few remaining intact Dickinson buildings in the downtown core, was his first office building design and housed Yolles’ engineering offices.
ERA was involved in Phase 3 and Phase 5 of the project. Both phases involved detailed heritage reports, condition assessments, heritage and urban planning, to help guide the owners’ development plans.