Skip to content

ERA Architects

Projects/

Heritage & Cultural Planning

Spotlight

Mirvish Village

Honest Ed’s and Mirvish Village have been fixtures of Toronto’s Bloor and Bathurst neighbourhood for more than 60 years. The famed discount retailer, and public realm created by Markham Street’s adaptive reuse as a cultural and commercial enclave in the 1960s, evolved through the influence of the Mirvish Family and neighbourhood communities, including the Afro-Caribbean...

exterior view of building with columns Ruthven Park National Historic Site

The Ruthven Park National Historic Site consists of one of Canada’s finest Greek Revival mansions, which sits on 1,478 acres of property along the Grand River in southwestern Ontario. ERA was retained as the heritage architectural consultant on a conservation management plan team restoring Ruthven Park. We provided detailed assessments and historical studies of the...

Kilns at Evergreen Brick Works

“Building 16” at the Brick Works housed several massive kilns built in the 1960s for firing and drying bricks. The kilns were fascinating artifacts, but their sheer size – 600 linear metres occupying three-quarters of the building – made the space impossible to use. By dissecting the kilns to reveal their hidden spaces and internal...

Eglinton Crosstown Study

The Crosstown, which will bring rapid transit along Eglinton and span the city from Scarborough to Etobicoke, represents the largest transit investment Toronto has made in a generation. ERA is part of a team that includes Brook McIlroy, planningAlliance, and Public Work, among others, in planning and designing the corridor as it prepares to be...

Friends of Allan Gardens refresh cover Friends of Allan Gardens (FOAG)

Since its inception in 1858, Allan Gardens has been a distinctive part of Toronto, dedicated to offering a stimulating environment for the pleasure of Torontonians. Originating as a horticultural feature at the centre of William Allan’s Park Lot V, Allan Gardens has watched the city grow and evolve around it. ERA is pleased to be...

Maclean House at 7 Austin Terrace

7 Austin Terrace was part of the estate of Canadian publisher John B. Maclean, founder of Maclean’s Magazine. The main section of the house was never completed, leaving the intended gatehouse to become Maclean’s primary residence. Architect John Lyle, known for his designs of the Royal Alexandra Theatre and Union Station, was the architect on record for...

Culture of Outports

This initiative by ERA Architects and the Centre for Urban Growth and Renewal (CUG+R), uses research, design, and planning to help support livable communities undergoing economic and cultural change after the decline of the Northern Cod Fishery. The Culture of Outports team uses historical research, field research, and public consultation to assess the built, natural,...

Culture of Outports: Majumder Manor

The ‘Culture of Outports‘ project proposes that an understanding of the unique history and character of outport communities is essential in order to successfully plan and manage their future evolution, post fisheries. There are plenty of examples throughout the province to suggest that communities are in search of inventive ways to invent new industries and...

Ashbridge Estate

The Ashbridge Estate consists of two residential buildings and four outbuildings, including a two storey Regency and Arts and Crafts home, sheds and a barn, all set upon two acres of land. It was continuously owned and occupied by the Ashbridge familyfor 200 years, until 1972, when it was donated to the Ontario Heritage Trust....

Lambert-Smye Estate

The Lambert-Smye Estate property, located at 394 Lakeshore Road West, is one of the few remaining intact early 20th century Estates along Oakville’s waterfront. The Estate home, designed by noted Oakville architect George N. Molesworth and constructed in 1938, sits roughly in the middle of the estate grounds which are approximately 3.84 ha (9.5 acres)...

Stanley Barracks

The Stanley Barracks is the sole remaining structure of the New Fort at York erected in 1841 by the British Army. The ‘New Fort’ was built to replace ‘Fort York’ as the primary Garrison in the Town of York. The Fort buildings were arranged around a central parade square within the grounds of today’s Canadian National...

Sainte-Marie among the Hurons

One of the earliest European settlements in the Province of Ontario, Sainte Marie among the Hurons is a site of national heritage significance and international interest. The challenge of assembling a conservation plan for three fireplace ruins at this important historic site offered an opportunity to approach conservation by first asking how to best interpret...

Market Square Heritage Conservation District Plan Update

At the core of Kingston’s historic downtown is the Market Square Heritage Conservation District – an area defined by a fine collection of 19th and 20th buildings encircling the city’s Market Square. The District, originally written by Lily Inglis and Harold Kalman, is one of the earliest commercial heritage conservation districts in Ontario. The District...

Milton Heritage Properties Business Strategy

In May 2010, ERA Architects partnered with urbanMetrics to develop a business strategy for the Ruhl Farmstead and John Willmott Farmhouse, two mid-1800s properties located in Milton, Ontario, a town undergoing rapid change. The challenge in this project was to develop a conservation strategy of the site’s built and natural heritage while responding to Milton’s...

Recent Projects

University Commons, University of Alberta University of Alberta
Edmonton
Sturgeon Bay Cottage Private client
Point au Baril, Ontario