Skip to content

ERA Architects

Projects/

Heritage & Cultural Planning

Spotlight

Mirvish Village

Honest Ed’s and Mirvish Village have been fixtures of Toronto’s Bloor and Bathurst neighbourhood for more than 60 years. The famed discount retailer, and public realm created by Markham Street’s adaptive reuse as a cultural and commercial enclave in the 1960s, evolved through the influence of the Mirvish Family and neighbourhood communities, including the Afro-Caribbean...

exterior view of building with columns Ruthven Park National Historic Site

The Ruthven Park National Historic Site consists of one of Canada’s finest Greek Revival mansions, which sits on 1,478 acres of property along the Grand River in southwestern Ontario. ERA was retained as the heritage architectural consultant on a conservation management plan team restoring Ruthven Park. We provided detailed assessments and historical studies of the...

One Bedford Road

John Lyle originally purchased this site for his architectural studio in 1919 and he built a two-storey office/studio in the following year. He remained here until his retirement in 1943. The studio has been heavily altered since its construction but many heritage elements remain, including the three-bays of the south façade and the fireplace on...

Union Station Train Shed

The Union Station Train Shed, designed by A.R. Ketterson, a Toronto Terminals Railway Assistant Bridge Engineer, was built in 1929-30. The design was a variation on the Bush train shed invented by American Engineer Lincoln Bush in 1904. Bush sheds replaced the large, expensive, and difficult-to-maintain balloon-framed sheds that were common in 19th-century Europe. Smoke...

The Distillery District

The Gooderham and Worts Historic District is a National Historic Site and former home to the largest distillery in Canada. The complex is a remarkable example of an intact Victorian industrial property. Particular buildings of interest include the Stone Distillery and the Maltings. ERA is the Architect-of-Record for the overall project and Heritage Architect for...

Bishop’s Block

The Bishop’s Block, a designated heritage property, was built circa 1829. It is considered one of the oldest buildings left in Toronto’s downtown core. Originally consisting of five upscale Georgian row houses, the Block housed the Adelaide Hotel in the early 20th century and more recently the popular Pretzel Bell Tavern. By 2005 the building...

Cultural Mapping

Working with the City of Toronto and the Martin Prosperity Institute, ERA is developing a series of maps visualizing the creative economy in Toronto. These maps build on ERA’s previous work mapping cultural facilities, cultural corridors, the distribution of public and private institutions, and historic formal development in Toronto.

Canada Malting Silo

The Canada Maltings Co. is a former industrial complex located at the foot of Bathurst Quay in Toronto. The site consists of two large silo structures, distribution rooms, a head house, link structures and other accessory buildings. The complex was continually developed throughout the 20th century with the earliest structures on the site dating back...

Child and Parent Resource Institute

The Child and Parent Resource Institute (CPRI) is a provincially operated regional resource centre in London, Ontario, that provides diagnostic assessment, consultation, education, research, and short-term treatment services for children and youth with emotional and behavioral disorders. The subject site occupies a 56-hectare parcel of land and is acknowledged for its cultural heritage significance. The...

Avenues & Mid-Rise Buildings Study

ERA was part of a consultant team that prepared the Avenues and Mid-rise Buildings Study for the City of Toronto. The study provided recommendations for urban design, policy, and processes to guide and encourage future mid-rise development along the City’s avenues, an area that covers 162 km in length. Working with team lead Brook McIlroy...

Dundas Street West Streetscape Study

The section of Dundas Street West stretching between University Ave. and Bathurst St. is an important tourist destination and is recognized as a potential creative corridor for the City of Toronto. In 2010, the City commissioned a streetscape study for this section of the street to improve the quality of the public realm, identify distinct...

View of the Commons area with new landscaping Evergreen Brick Works

Founded in 1889, the Don Valley Brick Works became one of the largest and most significant brick manufacturers in Canada, relying on locally extracted clay, shale, and sand. Many of Toronto’s landmark masonry buildings, such as Massey Hall, Old City Hall, Casa Loma, and the Royal Ontario Museum, were constructed with Don Valley’s award-winning bricks....

Dundurn National Historic Site

Dundurn National Historic Site is a prominent historic house in Hamilton, dating from 1835. This Regency style mansion was built as the home of Sir Allan Napier McNab. ERA’s work at Dundurn includes underpinning of foundations walls, repointing and waterproofing and below-grade drainage to prevent periodic floods in the basement. Extensive archaeological work was done...

Sudbury Court House

ERA provided research and consultation on the heritage resources that could be affected by the proposed alterations and additions, designed by Castellan James Architects, to the Sudbury Courthouse. The building needed modifications to address long-standing issues related to program and space requirements on the site, provision of a sallyport entrance, and renovation and expansion of...

Recent Projects

University Commons, University of Alberta University of Alberta
Edmonton
Sturgeon Bay Cottage Private client
Point au Baril, Ontario