Artscape Wychwood BarnsEn Français >
The Artscape Wychwood Barns are located on the southwest corner of Wychwood and Benson Avenues, near St. Clair Avenue. The modular structure to house streetcars was built between 1913 and 1921 for the Toronto Civic Railway, a transportation system that played a significant role in the development of the newly annexed suburban areas in the old City of Toronto. When completed, the facility accommodated 50 streetcars in the barns and another 110 outside, with access to the yard via nine tracks.
ERA worked as the heritage consultant for this project with Joe Lobko Architect, and provided a suite of architectural services including preparing a Conservation Plan, working drawings for the alterations to the Barns, and the Heritage Easement Agreement. Additionally, ERA worked with Gottschalk+Ash International on wayfinding and site interpretation and with David Leinster and the Planning Partnership to convert the remaining land on the site into a new public park.
- City of Toronto
- Joe Lobko Architect
- The Planning Partnership / Gottschalk+Ash
- Adaptive Reuse, Accessibility & Additions/Building Conservation/Development & Urban Planning/Landscape & Urban Design/Legacy Projects
- Arts & Culture/Commercial & Retail/Recreation
- Architectural Conservancy of Ontario: Peter Stokes Award for Adaptive Re-use, 2009
- Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals: Award for Environmentally Sustainable Rehabilitation, 2009