Thomas G. Elgie House
The designated Thomas G. Elgie House, is the oldest of three residential buildings in Leaside that predate its incorporation as a town in 1913. Although altered in the 20th century, the original building remains, however the south elevation’s red brick walls and 19th century detailing were concealed by an addition.
As part of a conservation project the property was subdivided into three lots, retaining the main section of the heritage residence on the central lot. The house was relocated east of its original site and its brick and wood detailing restored and the original veranda reinstated. A two-storey extension was added to the rear and two new houses will be built on either side, whose character will follow the Leaside Property Owners’ Association Residential Character Preservation Guidelines.
The approved project is the result of a successful Mediation at the Ontario Municipal Board that engaged community representatives, neighbours, the City of Toronto and the property owner. The building has been moved to a temporary location by Laurie McCullouch Building Movers.