The Hard Rock Cafe
The building at 279-283 Yonge Street was constructed in 1918 as a ’Childs Restaurant’. The restaurant was part of a chain based in New York City, where the Childs Company employed New York architect John Chorley Westervelt to design their Toronto premises. Its distinctive design employs decorative white-glazed terra cotta as a cladding material on the Yonge Street and Dundas Square elevations. The building is designated by the City of Toronto under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.
ERA was retained to oversee the restoration of the terra cotta including cleaning and repairs. ERA’s involvement in other aspects of the project included windows, cornice, and parapet treatments.