Skip to content

ERA Architects

Projects/

Places of Worship

Little Trinity Annex

The properties at 399-403 King Street East, known as the Francis Beale Buildings, were constructed in the mid-19th century in the Georgian style. In the late 19th century they came under the ownership of the Little Trinity Church community and were used for commercial purposes before eventually falling into disrepair. Little Trinity Church was able...

Church of the Redeemer

The Church of the Redeemer is an important landmark at the corner of Bloor Street West and Avenue Road. Built in 1879, this historic building was designed in the Gothic revival style. ERA has been working with the church since 2008, when ERA prepared a Condition Assessment and Conservation Plan. Following this, ERA worked closely...

St. James’ Cathedral Centre

St. James’ Parish House, as it was originally known, is an important piece of the St. James’ Cathedral campus, one of the defining historical properties of Toronto’s old town. The Parish House, completed in 1909, was designed by well-known Toronto architects Darling and Pearson, and is an excellent example of Neo-Gothic style. The Diocesan Centre, adjoined...

Sisters of St. Joseph: Taylor House

This building, sited on the east bank of Toronto’s Don River, was constructed in 1885 for John F. Taylor, founder of the Don Valley Brick Works. The building was designed in the Queen Anne style by architect D.B. Dick, and is constructed from local brick on a stone base. Over many years of use, the...

St James’ Cathedral

Located in downtown Toronto, St. James’ Cathedral is the city’s oldest Anglican church and a fine example of Gothic Revival architecture. The main body of the Church was completed in 1856 to the designs of Fredrick Cumberland; the porches and tower spire were added by William Storm in 1875, and were designed to compliment the...

Tafelmusik: Trinity St. Paul’s

ERA has been working with Trinity St. Paul’s on an ongoing basis as lead architect in heritage and restoration, and with one of the Church’s main tenants, Tafelmusik, to raise the standards of the venue and transform its acoustics. Trinity-St. Paul’s, designed by Edmund Burke and Henry Langley and completed in 1889, is a remarkable...

Sharon Temple in autumn Sharon Temple

Sharon Temple is a masterpiece in wood construction. It was completed in 1832 by the Children of Peace, a breakaway sect of the Quakers who were committed to democracy, egalitarianism, and social justice. The building’s symmetrical plan was meant to communicate a spirit of equality within its walls, and the space was used only on...

Victoria Memorial Square

Victoria Memorial Square is the City of Toronto’s first European cemetery. It was created in 1793/94 by Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe shortly after the establishment of the Garrison at York and the founding of the town. Simcoe’s infant daughter, Katherine, was one of the first to be buried at the cemetery which was closed...

The Abbey

The Abbey Residential Condominium at 384 Sunnyside Avenue is a conversion of Howard Park Methodist Church. Modern foundation stones on the building indicate that the Sunday School was built first in 1910, followed in 1914 by the church. The building is constructed in the Gothic Revival Style, combining robust masonry expression with fine window tracery....

Eglinton St. George’s United Church

St. George’s United Church was designed by architects Langley and Howland and built in 1924. An addition was built in 1932 designed by J. Francis Brown and Son. The Church has a fine collection of more than 25 stained glass windows completed at different periods. When the church was built, the stained glass windows were...

Little Trinity Church

Dating from 1843, Little Trinity is one of the oldest surviving brick churches in Toronto. This polychrome Gothic Revival church was badly damaged by fire in 1961. At that time, the brickwork was cleaned by sandblasting removing its protective kiln face and leaving the bricks vulnerable to frost and water damage. A listed heritage property,...

Dundas Street Centre United Church

The Dundas Street Centre United Church is a large, handsome brick and stone Romanesque Revival Style church, with three towers and matching Sunday School was erected in 1895. In the 1930s the domed sanctuary was remodeled. However, much of the original fine decorative plasterwork and stained glass remains. The church is designated under Part IV...

Recent Projects

Canada Life London: Barrier-Free Upgrades to the North Entry Canada Life and GWL Realty Advisors
London, Ontario
Halton Hills Cultural Heritage Strategy Town of Halton Hills
Halton Hills, Ontario
Our Yukon Heritage Reserves: Management Priorities Report Historic Sites Unit, Government of Yukon
Yukon Territory
The Brighthouse Farm The Brighthouse Farm
Wellington, Ontario