Skip to content

ERA Architects

Projects/

Building Conservation

Spotlight

Greenhouse at the Parkwood Estate National Historic Site. Parkwood Estate National Historic Site: Greenhouse Conservation

Oshawa’s Parkwood Estate was erected in 1915 as the home of automotive industrialist Colonel Sam McLaughlin, who had a keen interest in horticulture. Designed by the leading establishment architecture firm Darling & Pearson, the estate included five greenhouses, with additional greenhouses added over time. The estate is now a National Historic Site. After the property...

exterior view of new addition to NAC National Arts Centre

Situated in the heart of the nation’s capital on Confederation Square, Ottawa’s National Arts Centre (NAC) displays a robust Brutalist geometric form, evoking the image of a fortress for the arts. Built between 1964 and 1969 as one of the federal government’s centennial projects, the NAC was designed by Fred Lebensold of the Montreal-based architecture...

Sharon Temple in autumn Sharon Temple

Sharon Temple is a masterpiece in wood construction. It was completed in 1832 by the Children of Peace, a breakaway sect of the Quakers who were committed to democracy, egalitarianism, and social justice. The building’s symmetrical plan was meant to communicate a spirit of equality within its walls, and the space was used only on...

Auchmar Estate

Auchmar Estate was built by Isaac Buchanan, a prominent economist and politician, between 1852 and 1854 on a private estate on 86 acres on the Hamilton Mountain that he called Clairmont Park. The 2 storey, stuccoed brick manor house is considered an elegant example of Gothic Revival style architecture with its arched windows, numerous chimneys,...

Canadian Film Centre, Windfields

The Canadian Film Centre is located on a 1930’s neo-Georgian estate of one of Canada’s leading businessmen, the late E.P. Taylor. The estate comprises many buildings including a gatehouse, stables and gardener’s cottage set in a formalized landscape. The cultural significance of the site and associated buildings relates to the continued progression of the Canadian...

Spruce Court Cooperative

Spruce Court Cooperative was started in 1913 and was designed by Eden Smith, a well-known Toronto architect. The first housing co-op in the City of Toronto, Spruce Court is notable for its human scale and simple layout, yet rich sequence of spaces and vistas between the buildings. Designed in the Arts and Crafts style, the...

The Distillery District

The Gooderham and Worts Historic District is a National Historic Site and former home to the largest distillery in Canada. The complex is a remarkable example of an intact Victorian industrial property. Particular buildings of interest include the Stone Distillery and the Maltings. ERA is the Architect-of-Record for the overall project and Heritage Architect for...

Union Station Train Shed

The Union Station Train Shed, designed by A.R. Ketterson, a Toronto Terminals Railway Assistant Bridge Engineer, was built in 1929-30. The design was a variation on the Bush train shed invented by American Engineer Lincoln Bush in 1904. Bush sheds replaced the large, expensive, and difficult-to-maintain balloon-framed sheds that were common in 19th-century Europe. Smoke...

Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology

The Hamilton Museum of Steam and Technology, a National Historic Site and a Civil and Power Engineering Landmark, was designed by Thomas Coltrin Keefer and built by the City of Hamilton from 1856-1859. The Pumphouse and Pumping Station are designated by the City of Hamilton under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. The property...

Maple Leaf Gardens

Recognized as a National Historic Site, Maple Leaf Gardens was home to the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey club until 1999 and served as a hub of civic life continuously since it opened in 1931. The arena hosted a wide variety of large-scale public gatherings, from operas to political rallies. It is one the oldest and...

Rotman School of Management

Located along the central spine of the University of Toronto’s St. George Campus, the Rotman School of Management needed to expand to accommodate growing programming, student body, and faculty. The expansion of the school incorporated the designated heritage building known as the John Downey House at 97 St. George. Additional classroom, faculty, and student spaces...

Bridgepoint Health: The Old Don Jail

Completed in 1864, the Old Don Jail was the last work of one of Canada’s most respected early architects, William Thomas, and the largest building project in Toronto’s history at the time. Like much of Thomas’s late work, the jail was conceived in the Renaissance Revival style popular during the mid-1800s which draws inspiration from...

Claridge Apartments

The Claridge Apartment Building located on the ridge on Clarendon Avenue at Avenue Road is a notable example of the Romanesque revival style. A listed heritage property, it was designed in 1929 by Baldwin and Greene. The lobby has painted decoration by Group of Seven artist J.E.H. MacDonald. As a first phase of work, ERA...

Soldiers’ Tower

Soldiers’ Tower commemorates the 1,200 University of Toronto students who served during World War I. Designed by architects Sproatt and Rolph, construction began in 1919, and the tower was completed in 1924. In 1927 the clock and carillon were added. A wall at the base of the tower was later added to contain the names...

Recent Projects

Halton Hills Cultural Heritage Strategy Town of Halton Hills
Halton Hills, Ontario
Our Yukon Heritage Reserves: Management Priorities Report Historic Sites Unit, Government of Yukon
Yukon Territory
The Brighthouse Farm The Brighthouse Farm
Wellington, Ontario
GoodLot Farmstead Brewing Co. Phil Winters, GoodLot Farm and Brewery
Caledon, Ontario