The Broadview Hotel is a landmark building at the northwest corner of Queen and Broadview, it functioned as a community hub for businesses, clubs, athletics and site for public meetings. The building was completed in 1891-2 for oilman and soap maker Archibald Dingman in the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. The building at one time stood taller than any other office building east of the Don River. Named Dingman Hall, it housed the Canadian Bank of Commerce on the main floor, offices on the middle floors and meeting halls above. It was a major social gathering spot for the city’s developing east end and now exists as a local landmark within a transit hub, with nearby stops for two TTC routes. The intersection experiences a high volume of pedestrian foot traffic as well as vehicular traffic. It anchors the end of a commercial shopping strip that begins just after the bridge over the Don Valley and terminates at the end of Queen Street East in the Beach neighbourhood.
The multi award-winning project was led by ERA Architects for Streetcar Developments and includes an addition and alteration to increase its size, changing the existing floor heights and adding two new floor levels largely within the existing building envelope. Its use will remain as a hotel, with a restaurant and cafe added to the ground floor. Exterior alterations included: the removal of fire stairs, window replacement, the reinstatement of entrances and storefronts, metal cornices on the facades, masonry repairs and glass additions.
View The Broadview Hotel’s website here.
All night photos in the side gallery are courtesy of Marcus Mitanus.
Detail photos courtesy of Streetcar Developments.
Renderings courtesy of ERA Architects.