Shelley Ludman in a registered Architect and Associate at ERA. She received her Masters of Architecture from McGill University after completing a Bachelor of Science in Architecture. Shelley is a member of the Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals (CAHP). Drawing on her architectural background and interest in the relationship between city building and sense of place, Shelley’s work focuses on the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of existing buildings and sites.
Within Toronto, Shelley works primarily in the early stages of the development process, with a strong focus on strategic thinking and cultural value. Through this work, she helps set the parameters for a site strategy, and a design approach for the rehabilitation of existing properties.
Since joining ERA in 2012, Shelley has been involved in a range of significant restoration and adaptive re-use projects, including the conversion of 158 Sterling Road into the new home for Toronto’s Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), the transformation of Building 16 at the Evergreen Brick Works into a carbon-neutral building, and the conservation of an 1880’s heritage façade and its incorporation into a new flagship retail building in downtown Toronto.
Outside of urban areas, Shelley focuses on the adaptive-reuse potential of existing buildings in rural communities in economic transition. These projects are often centred on an existing, often underutilized, cultural asset, working with the community to identify appropriate new uses and a thoughtful design approach.
Shelley led the design and construction of The Cambium Farms addition, taking cues from the existing farm vernacular, and is currently working on the conversion of a historic Ontario train station into a modern-day medical clinic.