Riverside welcomes a revitalized neighbor this fall in the form of The Broadview Hotel, a landmark building at the northwest corner of Queen and Broadview, completed in 1891-2, for oilman and soap maker Archibald Dingman.
The building’s architecture hails from the same period as Toronto’s Old City Hall, with ornate exterior terracotta panels depicting animals and other figures. The hotel is the most prominent and architecturally significant structure in the area. Its renewal is a welcome contribution to the overall growth of the Riverside neighbourhood, and a visible manifestation of the area’s transformation from its recent past.
The official unveiling on October 5th, 2016 included the reveal of a heritage plaque, the removal of the scaffolding and the lighting of the facade. The interior renovations will not be completed until spring 2017. The rehabilitation of the exterior of the building reflects the efforts of the project teams to renew the hotel and restore the building to its proper place in Toronto’s historic fabric.
The conservation strategy for the site was rehabilitation and restoration, to maintain the key architectural features of the building while constructing an addition and ensuring it continued to house street-related commercial uses as a restaurant, cafe, hotel and rooftop terrace. The project supports the collaborative commitment and investment of time, energy, visioning and financial resources of ERA Architects and Streetcar Developments in fostering ‘culturally rich and livable communities’ in the downtown core.
Link to project profile: https://www.eraarch.ca/project/the-broadview-hotel/