As part of a long-term planning strategy to rejuvenate the city’s downtown, several heritage buildings are being adapted to house the facilities for a new downtown campus of the University of Windsor.
Windsor Armouries, opened in 1902, was the drill hall and regimental base of the 21st Regiment of Essex County (Fusiliers). Built in red brick and stone, the robust, Beaux-Arts structure is of a style typical to Canadian military buildings of the time.
ERA is working with CS&P Architects to retain the existing building, including its roof and truss structures, and to insert within the existing fabric a brand-new purpose-built facility. Together with the facing Windsor Bus Terminal, this project will form a micro-campus for the U of W’s School of Visual Arts, providing an excellent example of how heritage architecture can help connect a city to its cultural past while providing exciting opportunities for urban renewal.