The Thomas G. Elgie House, a designated heritage building, is the oldest of only three residential buildings in Leaside, predating its incorporation as a town in 1913. While the structure was altered through a series of additions in the 20th century, the original section of the building remains – with the south elevation concealed in the addition – with red brick walls and 19th century detailing.
As part of a conservation project, the property will be subdivided into three lots, retaining the main section of the heritage building on the central lot. The structure was relocated 7.5m east of its original site and restored to its original design, which includes restoring a wrap around porch and restoration of brick and wood detailing. A two-storey addition to the rear will be constructed. Two new houses will be built on either side, with the design intent to be in keeping with the Leaside Residential Character Preservation Guidelines.
The Approved project is the result of a successful Mediation at the Ontario Municipal Board that engaged community representatives, neighbours, the City of Toronto and the property owner.
The building has been moved to a temporary location by Laurie McCullouch Building Movers.