The Stone Distillery is the most prominent structure on the site of the Distillery District, National Historic Site. Erected 1859 to 1861, this is the oldest distillery structure in Canada and it presents an example of an industrial building designed to accommodate an early form of automated and continuous processing.
ERA was retained to design and advise on the adaptive reuse of the vacant distillery for new retail and office space. The initial work included extensive repairs to the existing floor assemblies, masonry repairs, repair of existing windows and doors, insulation and replacement of the roof. The roof dormers previously removed in the 1950’s were rebuilt. The interior of the building was upgraded to current code requirements. The project was awarded a CHPIF grant from Parks Canada.