St. James’ Parish House, as it was originally known, is an important piece of the St. James’ Cathedral campus, one of the defining historical properties of Toronto’s old town. The Parish House, completed in 1909, was designed by well-known Toronto architects Darling and Pearson, and is an excellent example of Neo-Gothic style. The Diocesan Centre, adjoined to the east, was added in 1958 by architects Mathers and Haldenby.
As part of a redevelopment project led by architectsAlliance, a three-storey addition replaces part of the historic Parish House to meet the current functional requirements of the institution. Construction was limited to the existing footprint of the building to avoid disturbing the original burying ground adjacent.
As heritage architect, ERA consulted on numerous aspects of the project, including:
- design guidelines for the new addition
- preservation of the three facades of the Parish House, including significant masonry and mortar repair and window replacement
- rehabilitation of the landscape design, including repairs to the historic garden wall
- repairs to the roof
- rehabilitation of the Parish House interiors
- demolition of the existing auditorium
- interpretation of St. James’ Burying Ground and the historical significance of the Parish House