Confederation Park was opened in 1967 to mark the centenary of Canada’s confederation, on the site of the disused CPR rail yard and the earlier Market Battery fortification. Locomotive CPR 1095 (named, “The Spirit of Sir John A.” on occasion of the centenary) was built by the Canadian Locomotive Company Ltd., in Kingston, in 1913, and has been located in the same place, on original rails, since Confederation Park opened to the public in 1967.
By 2009, having been exposed to the elements for more than 40 years, the locomotive was in poor condition. ERA was engaged to restore, piece by piece, the iron work of the locomotive, and to relocate the entire piece to new, sound foundations approximately seven metres away. In addition to facilitating the restoration process, the new base has made possible the construction of a new viewing platform for visitor use.