The Hermant Building at 21 Dundas Square was designed by Benjamin Brown in 1929. Benjamin Brown is historically significant as the first practicing Jewish architect in Toronto. The 15-storey art-deco-inspired building is a significant landmark at Dundas
As part of a 40-storey mixed-use redevelopment designed by Diamond Schmidt, ERA has been working as heritage architects on both 19 and 21 Dundas Square. Our scope of work has included:
- preservation, restoration, and refurbishment of both buildings, including exteriors and lobbies;
- restoration and refurbishment of windows and terracotta cladding for 19 Dundas Square;
- replacement of ground floor signage at 19 and 21 Dundas Square with contextually appropriate signage;
- design of new building lighting scheme; and
- development of heritage interpretation materials.